Worried about how to potty
train your puppy quickly? Know some training tips to ensure a
hassle-free potty training for puppies.
: Dogs : How to Potty Train a
How to Potty Train a Puppy Quickly
The joy when one brings home a
new pet is similar to the joy experienced during the birth of a new-born
child. When a puppy arrives, it is important that you maintain a strong
bond with the new member of your family from the very first day. It is
equally important that you introduce your puppy to good housetraining
methods, especially potty training. A careless attitude from your end,
or lack of proper interaction between you and your pet, might lead to
permanent problems with your puppy's potty habits even later. You might
end up having a dog that soils the carpets and always leave a reeking
Moreover remember that your puppy is a little baby. Don't get restless
and mad if he doesn't understand you for the first few days. He would
take some time to grasp your instructions and understand the importance
of going outdoors to potty. So train him with patience. It is entirely
your responsibility to keep an eye on your puppy's potty habits before
he really masters the trade. Most puppy-owners find it a hazard to
effectively potty train their puppies. But, potty training can be very
simple if you know how and where to begin. Check out the following tips
to know how to potty train your puppy quickly.
Puppy Potty Training Tips
- Always remember that puppies don't have the endurance level of an
adult dog. They find it difficult to control their bladder and
bowels for a long time. So, give them some time to develop outdoor
- Don't 'paper-train' your puppy during those initial days of potty
training. Once you paper-train him indoors, you will have to train
him all over again for outdoor potty habits.
- Confine your puppy in a crate when you are sleeping/ outdoors or
not watching him (Crate Training). Different crates in different
styles can easily be purchased from pet stores.
- During those potty training days, see that you follow a routine
for the puppy. Make him go to bed/ get up from bed at the same time
- While potty training, make your puppy eat dry/ bolus food
(especially if you feed him packaged food). This way he will have
- Whenever you see that your puppy is trying to finish the task
inside, alert him by saying "No" or clapping your hands,
and carefully lift him outside and wait for him to finish the task.
- During the initial training phase, don't scold, punish or
reprimand him if he evacuates inside. But, make him understand that
it is not proper.
- Leash your puppy and take him to the same spot (where you want
him to potty) everyday.
- Praise your puppy whenever he eases himself outdoors.
- Don't confine the puppy in rooms that have carpets or rugs. Keep
the floor bare, so that it is easier to clean if the puppy potties
- Be patient when you take him to potty. Give him time to evacuate
completely. Sometimes, he may take two to three tries.
- Always make sure you clean the puppy's potty place afterwards
- If your puppy is four months or older and still hasn't learn to
potty outside, consult a veterinarian to sort out the problem
Hope these tricks will help you
to potty train your puppy with ease. If you still think that it is not
your cup of tea; it is better to buy a trained pup or an adult dog that
is already potty trained and saves you the trouble.
Comment On This Article