Does your dog have the bad
habit of digging? Know why do puppies dig and how you can stop your dog
from digging holes.
: Dogs : How to Stop Dogs from
How to Stop Dogs from Digging
Digging is an inherent quality of
a dog. If you are a dog-owner, you probably have asked yourself these
questions many a times, "Why does my dog dig"? "What
exactly does he look for while he digs"? "How can I curb this
habit in my dog"? Sometimes, a dog might reduce your beautiful
garden to rubble with his digging, without even realizing what he has
done. This might frustrate you and endanger the bond that you share with
your little treasure-hunter. But, don't get baffled when your pet digs.
Digging is not unnatural when it comes to your canine companion. He can
dig untiringly for many reasons. Read this article to understand this
strange behavioral pattern in your dog and also learn how to stop your
dog from digging holes
Why do Dogs Dig?
The following reasons might be responsible for digging by your dog.
- He is attracted by the smell of fresh dirt, mud, fertilizers,
manure or plantings
- He is bored and is looking for something to occupy himself with
- He is looking for little critters that are generally found in the
- He is not properly exercised and digs to dispel his excess energy
- He is trying to grab your attention
- He wants a personalized shelter, probably to escape various
- He wants to have fun
- He wants to store his food and other hunts
How to Stop your Dog from
Follow the given below steps to prevent your dog from digging.
- Bury chicken wire with some dirt near his digging area. The
sensation he feels when his paws scrape the wires will prevent him
- Confine your dog in a crate or leash him, when you are not around
(till the time you have successfully eliminated his digging habit).
- Cover his digging hole with his own poop. It will greatly
discourage him to dig further. However this solution is
- Don't dig earth while gardening in front of your dog. It simply
motivates him to imitate you and dig.
- Get rid of rodents and little critters in your garden.
- Give him adequate exercise and play time, so that he remains
physically and mentally stimulated.
- Hide some water balloons in the holes. They will pop in his face
and make him associate negative feeling with the act of digging.
- Keep freshly tilled soil out of your dog's reach. Fence the area
- Make a sand box and fill it with freshly tilled earth and dog
treats. Your dog can dig in the box without wrecking your garden.
- Provide entertainment diversions to your dog, so that he is not
bored and hence, forced to dig.
- Provide your dog with a proper shelter and regulate it with the
various climatic changes.
- Whenever he digs, use the water hose in the garden to wet him and
alert him that what he is doing is inappropriate.
Try these above mentioned tips to
eliminate your dog's digging habits. Reprimand him whenever you catch
him digging. But, don't mete out physical punishment. Your dog needs
time to understand that what he is doing is undesirable. Remember, some
primitive breeds of dog dig just for the sake of digging. It is very
difficult to curtail this habit in them.
Comment On This Article