Diarrhea in dogs/puppies may
be mild or severe and sometimes a serious cause of concern. Learn about
treating dog dairrhoea.
Diarrhea in Dogs
Diarrhea is a common ailment in
dogs. Once in a while, every dog or pup experiences an upset stomach,
with unusual stool (soft, liquid, colorless, mucus-coated or
blood-coated). But when the condition is acute and lasts for many days
with frequent squirts of stool, it can be a serious cause of concern.
Severe diarrhea may cause extreme fluid loss or dehydration and also
lead to electrolyte disturbances in the body. Various home remedies can
be effectively administered to cure the problem. But it is better to
take professional help from a veterinarian if the condition is very
critical. Read on to know the various symptoms, causes and effective
treatments of diarrhea.
- Abdominal pain or restlessness
- Dry or sticky gums (caused by dehydration)
- Frequent vomiting
- Inactivity and signs of lethargy
- Inflation of the stomach in certain cases
- Passing blood in stool
- Rumbling stomach and gas
- Sudden weight loss
Causes of Dog Diarrhea
Learn what causes the problem of diarrhea in your dog
- Consuming indigestible objects like stones, sticks or grass
- Consuming toxic elements like insecticides or house cleaners
- Consumption of a food that is otherwise not included in the
- Consumption of certain antibiotics
- Ingesting food with a high content of salt and sugar
- Intestinal worms and parasites like whipworms, roundworms and
- Lack or inefficiency of certain pancreatic enzymes in the body
- Some kind of allergies that might be produced by certain foods
- Various bacterial infections in the body
- Viral infections caused by parvovirus or rotavirus
Home Remedy for Treating
Check out some of the best home remedies for treating diarrhea in dogs
- Avoid giving your dog flavored or oily food. Butters, sauces and
gravies should not be included in his diet till he gets completely
- Avoid giving your dog his usual large meals during the period.
Instead, try giving him four or five small feedings, after regular
- Feed your dog bland home-made food. Include white rice, yoghurt,
cottage cheese and cooked meat in his meals.
- Give your dog pet food that contains some amount of probiotics.
You can also try adding some probiotic powder in his drinking water.
- Replenish the lost body water by providing him water every 15
min. You can also try giving him clear chicken broth every now and
- Rest your dog's abdominal tract by making him fast for 12-24 hrs.
Try giving him easily digestible food and water after sometime.
- You can try feeding your dog fresh pumpkins. It will help to
regulate the bowel movements and also add color to the stool.
You can try the above mentioned
home remedies to tackle diarrhea in your dog. If the condition still
persists, immediately take him to a veterinarian. The doctor can easily
ascertain the cause of the problem and provide suitable medication or
supplement necessary food to his diet, to get rid of it.
Comment On This Article