Selecting dog collar can be easy, if you follow a set of conventional norms. Read on to get tips on how to select a dog collar.
How To Select Dog Collar
If you are of the opinion that dogs cannot be accessorized, you are definitely in for a surprise. Dogs, today, have a whole lot of accessories that can help accentuate their look and enhance their personality. One such augmenter is dog collar. It is a great way to control the dog and at the same time, add to your canine's personality. Selecting a perfect dog collar has become a tough job these days. This is because the markets, today, are virtually flooded with options, varying in range, style and material. Depending on your budget, you must select a collar that would be multipurpose. To get complete details on how to select a dog collar, read through the following lines.
Selecting Dog Collars
- Before buying a dog collar, there are a number of considerations you need to make. The first and the foremost concern would be the dog's size, age, training background and frequency of socialization.
- The next step would be to decide the purpose of the dog collar. Collars are essentially used for a number of things, such as enhancing the look of the dog, training purposes, taking for a walk, and so on. The purpose would help you decide about the type of collar that would be perfect for your dog.
- You need to make a choice of the type of collar as well, such as dog training collars, leather collars that secure a dog identification tag, pretty collars to enhance your dog's neck, or collars that control or train the dog.
- The durability of the dog collar is another important aspect you need to deal with. After spending a decent amount, you would definitely be concerned about the longevity of the dog collar.
- Make sure that the dog collar you buy is safe for your dog. For the purpose, make sure that the collar is of appropriate size. If it is too big, your dog will easily slip out of it. In case of a small collar, chances are that, accidentally, your dog might suffocate itself while pulling on it.
- For dog training collars, select a choke chain. However, make sure that after the training process, you remove the chain, as it might be extremely dangerous for the dog to put on a choke chain for a long time.
- In case you want to buy a dog collar for securing an identification tag to your pup, rolled leather collar would be the best bet, as it does not rub on the dog's coat. The best feature about such a type of collar is that it proves to be safe on your dog even for long periods.
- To enhance the look of your doggy, there are umpteen options you can choose from. Nowadays, designer dog collars are also available, which add aesthetic appeal to your fluffy companion.
- For simple walks, you can either go for a rolled leather collar, a choke chain and even a mouth or chest harness. Much depends on the size, age and personality of your canine.
- Depending on the size, make sure that the dog collar allows one to three fingers to fit between the dog's neck and the collar. This would serve as an ideal fit for your dog.
- Whatever dog collar you chose, make sure that it is easy to clean and tidy. This would rule out any chances of attack by germs.
- Choke collars work on the principle of punishment. Consisting of leather, nylon or chain link, with rings on each end, these are mostly used for training purposes.
- For small or toy dogs, body harnesses work the best. This is because, as you pull the leash, the harness tightens without causing much pressure on the neck or back.
- Many dogs are leather chewers. So, before getting a leather collar, make sure that your canine is not one of them.